Kingz Athlete Spotlight: Cole Abate

 While the history of Brazilian jiu-jitsu has long been peppered with the stories of young prodigies, this most recent group has proven to set the bar a little higher. One of the most standout young athletes of this new generation is Kingz Athlete Cole Abate.  jiu jitsu gi for women

Long a dominant figure in the kid’s and juvenile divisions, Cole has benefitted from the tutelage of Rodrigo Pinheiro in San Antonio, Texas, before moving to Costa Mesa to join the juvenile army of Art of Jiu-Jitsu, with Guilherme and Rafael Mendes.

In 2021 he hit a new stride, taking on some of the biggest names in the sport. At just 16 years old, Cole entered the ADCC North American Trials in New Jersey, held just last November. In a division of over 160 men, Cole fought his way to the finals, submitting three opponents and outscoring four more, to finishing with a win against Keith Krikorian. He became the youngest male athlete to win a trials in ADCC history.  

Some of his recent achievements have included:  

     BJJ Heroes 
  
    September 2021 – defeated veteran black belt Geo Martinez, with a close split-decision loss to Gabriel Sousa at WNO

We caught up with Cole to talk about who he is, his jiu-jitsu journey so far, and what he has his sights on for the future. Read on…  
How long have you been training and how did you start?

I have been training for the past 12 years, since I was five. I was introduced to the sport at a very early age when I would go to the gym with my dad while he worked out. He met a guy there who also trained jiu-jitsu, and he invited us to come try out a class at his academy. I took my first trial class when I was five, and every time we passed by the gym I’d ask my parents to bring me back to train again. Soon enough I went back and haven’t stopped training since.
What are your goals for the year?

My goals for this year include competing as much as I can in both gi and no-gi, with my sights set on becoming the youngest to ever win ADCC in September, as well as winning all of the major IBJJF competitions in the adult purple belt division.


What has been your greatest accomplishment and why?

My greatest accomplishment so far is winning the ADCC Trials in the 66kg division, which had more than 160 people, after seven fights and having faced some big names in the sport. I set the record for the youngest male to ever win the event, and I now have the chance to do the same at the main event in Las Vegas.

For More Info: kimonos jiu jitsu

Comments